Monday, September 01, 2008

Labor Day weekend

I hope that everyone had a restful and enjoyable holiday weekend. Some of my weekend time was spent getting caught up on housework and getting ahead on my lecture notes and homework solutions. But I also spent some time having fun with Sheba.Saturday evening, we visited the local Ada Hayden Heritage park. It's a city park that I've visited several times already and it's a great nearby resource. We walked about 4 miles. On Sunday afternoon we went to Ledges State Park, about 15 miles west of Ames. We hiked a bit more than I had originally planned, but we had a great time. The park has a gorgeous spot overlooking the Des Moines River. And there were several great-sounding trails ("Crows Nest", "Council Rock") that I'm looking forward to trying the next time we go. There are more pictures here. The park will look beautiful when the leaves start to change.
Today was "dog swim" day at the Ames city pool. I guess this is something they do every year when the pool is being shut down for the winter. While I've had Sheba for over a year, I've never seen her swim. Unfortunately, she wasn't interested in swimming. She would walk around in the kiddie pool, but showed no interest in jumping in the big pool. I got in myself (in my clothes, of course) and she jumped in after me when I started to back away from the edge. And she immediately sank like a stone. After that, there was absolutely no way to convince her to get back in. Several people suggested forcing her in, but I just couldn't do that to her.
Tonight we are headed to a cookout hosted by my backyard neighbor, who I just met this weekend. She also works at ISU and just purchased her house 3 weeks ago. She has a dog about the same size and age as Sheba, so they are already friends. I'm looking forward to getting to know her and her friends better.
Happy Labor Day, everyone!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Looks like you (and Sheba)had a great day! Mom

7:57 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home