Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day of Class

Today was the first day of classes and my lecture went very well. I have a bright, enthusiastic class of students and am looking forward to working with them for the rest of the semester. Most of them are sophmores, so I may get to work with many of them again over the next 2-3 years. I'm still busy with orientation-type details. Last week I had 2 sessions of all-day new faculty orientation and an evening reception at the home of the ISU president. Then we also had an all-day departmental meeting to review our plans for the upcoming school year. Tomorrow morning I have an appointment with human resources to specify my retirement account type, health insurance, etc. It's been a real adventure so far and it keeps getting better.
The movers finally came last Tuesday and my house is starting to look more like a home. There are some photos posted here. There is an breathtakingly beautiful owl in my neighborhood who frequently sits in the tree outside my dining room window at dusk. And tonight Sheba and I saw 3 deer on our evening walk.
The ISU marching band practices in a field adjacent to my office building, so it's nice to listen to them practice. But my house is less than a mile from campus, so I can hear them at home too, if I'm outside. During one of the new-faculty orientation sessions, I talked to a woman who was joining the music department. She said the band's current program features songs from "Guitar Hero" (she explained that the student's play a role in choosing the programs). But then she said that they will be doing a program based on John Williams' movie music later in the semester. I love John Williams, so I'm very excited about listening to this program.
Cleofus is doing well. Last week I thought he might need to go back to the hospital, but he's doing much better now; almost back to normal.

1 Comments:

Blogger shannylove said...

loved the pictures. i especially love two. the one about the neighborhood cat - "cassie hates him" - ha! what a surprise. and sheba lounging on the couch. how precious!!

4:13 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home