Monday, April 21, 2008

Dr. Mickey Carpenter

I learned some very sad news today. Dr Mickey Carpenter, who served as minister at the church I attended growing up, has apparently drowned. News story here. He loved to fish, so it's good to know that he spent his last day doing something that he enjoyed.
Dr Carpenter and his wife Marsha lost their son to a childhood cancer. Several years later, he took a church youth group to volunteer with young cancer victims and their families at the Ronald McDonald House associated with St Jude's Children's Research Hospital. I was part of that group and that trip was a very important event in my life.
Marsha, Michelle and Megan, you have my sympathies. There are some touching tributes here and here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry Laura. Sounds like Dr. Carpenter holds a special place in your heart and childhood memories.

11:28 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home